Friday 26 August 2011

Not Working? .. Get Networking

My Advice to Start-Ups

If you haven’t been networking yet as a new enterprise you are doing yourself and your business a disservice. Admittedly it might seem a bit daunting and you might feel like a naive new kid on the block but I urge you to make every effort to find and attend a meeting near you.

I guarantee that the group you go to will be friendly and make you welcome. Many groups are free or £10 or less, so don’t let being skint be your excuse not to go. Some meetings are better than others but I’m yet to find a group where I left feeling like I had completely wasted my time.

Allow yourself to be supported


Don’t be afraid to admit it if you are struggling or have a particular problem either. I’ve encountered more than a few hiccups with We Want 2 Work but through networking I have met some fantastic people who have given me their time and expertise free or at a really low cost. I may be a sole trader but I am lucky enough to have a massive support group around me now. I know that if I need help, or even just an ear to chew, I can pick up the phone to any one of a number of people and they will hear me out and advise, sympathise or both.

Where to look 

If you are stuck for where to find a group near you check out the FSB website, you don’t have to be a member to go to their local meetings, although you might want to consider joining as they have some great member benefits on offer. Another place to try would be your local council; most, if not all, have a Business & Enterprise manager who I’m sure will know what’s going on in your area.

You could also try your local college and YMCA, many have Business Hub’s with really good facilities and resources. A call to Business Link would also help, they have loads of information on what events and groups are operating across the whole of the UK.


People Will want to help you


If I’ve not convinced you yet perhaps this list of the help that I have had so far will sway you:

  1. Help with Branding
  2. Help with PR
   3. Help with IT issues
  4. Help with Hosting my website
  5. Sales advice
  6. Marketing advice
  7. SEO
  8. Sales copy
  9. Coaching 

  and finally ...

 10. Some really cute balloon men to use as promotional items

Go on get out there and meet your new business family, they are waiting to meet you!

Links:

1 comment:

  1. Great post. So true that people want to help each other but don't forget that it works both ways ( know from experience that We Want to Work are very aware of that.)
    One great place go get support in Essex is at a Brainstorm in a Teacup meeting. It's a little different to any other groups I have been to as it is all about supporting others, not selling to them. (www.brainstorminateacup.co.uk)
    Nice mention of balloon people - they could work for everyone wanting to get noticed ;)

    ReplyDelete